Patterns and anti patterns 2015-2
Write better code
Participating students will research and prepare presentation about ways to structure computer code in an efficient way that can be shared, re-used and maintained by others. Students will research the literature on some of the most (and less so) known coding patterns and anti-patterns and will present their finding to the class using an existing code base found on github and demonstrate the potential for code optimization. They summarize their findings in a seminar thesis.
Tips for presentation
Note that each session will include one 30 minutes presentation by each student.
- give an overview of the topic you chose to present
- give an introduction describing the project you are re-factoring/optimizing
- a through code critique should identify the strength and weaknesses of the code.
- suggest an improvment using a JS pattern you think is suitable.
- be ready to defend your choice, while a JS pattern may seem a good fit there are always some tradeoffs.
NOTE you should only use the patterns that are available to you from the topic you chose. If you chose Functional patterns then Object creation patterns are not relevant to your project. Keep this in mind when searching for a project to refactor on GitHub.
In the end students know about common patterns and anti-patterns, they can communicate sophisticated technological matters to their peers and they can summarize this in a written report.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
READ THIS PAGE: Hints and Rules for the seminar
July 1st: Seminar pre-meeting.
TBD - presentations due.
Seminar Dates: September 28 - October 2
Seminar Times: TBD
Room: Rostlab seminar room I12
|Sep 28||12:00||Design patterns and antipattterns and their importance in software maintainability and sustainability|| Qi Lifan
|Sep 28||13:00||General patterns|| Andreas Tielitz
|Sep 29||12:00||Literals and Constructors Patterns|| Julius Polar
Nhat Nam Bui
|Sep 29||13:00||Structural Patterns|| Chrysa Papadaki
|Sep 30||12:00||Functional patterns and Reactive Functional Programming|| Arya Kirathamoorthy
|Sep 30||13:00||Object Creation Patterns|| Beckmann Timm
|Oct 1||12:00||Code Reuse Patterns|| Gaurav Joshi
|Oct 1||13:00||Behavioral patterns|| Jun Heui Cho
|Oct 2||12:00||jQuery Plugin Patterns|| Muhammad Khan
|Oct 2||13:00||jQeury specific patterns||Sebastian Dirrigl
- JSPatterns http://www.jspatterns.com/
- jQuery Anti-Patterns for Performance & Compression http://paulirish.com/2009/perf/
- RECOMMENDED VIDEO http://www.paulirish.com/2010/10-things-i-learned-from-the-jquery-source/