Patterns and anti patterns 2015
PRE-MEETING FOR THE SEMINAR ANNOUNCED: Feb 2. 16:00-17:00 meet in front of the seminar room
Write better code
Participating students will research and prepare presentation about ways to structure computer code in an efficient way that can be shared, re-used and maintained by others. Students will research the literature on some of the most (and less so) known coding patterns and anti-patterns and will present their finding to the class using an existing code base found on github and demonstrate the potential for code optimization. They summarize their findings in a seminar thesis.
Tips for presentation
Note that each session will include one 30 minutes presentation by each student.
- give an overview of the topic you chose to present
- give an introduction describing the project you are re-factoring/optimizing
- a through code critique should identify the strength and weaknesses of the code.
- suggest an improvment using a JS pattern you think is suitable.
- be ready to defend your choice, while a JS pattern may seem a good fit there are always some tradeoffs.
NOTE you should only use the patterns that are available to you from the topic you chose. If you chose Functional patterns then Object creation patterns are not relevant to your project. Keep this in mind when searching for a project to refactor on GitHub.
In the end students know about common patterns and anti-patterns, they can communicate sophisticated technological matters to their peers and they can summarize this in a written report.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
READ THIS PAGE: Hints and Rules for the seminar
Feb 2. 16:00-17:00: Seminar pre-meeting.
TBD - presentations due.
Seminar Dates: March 16 - March 20
Seminar Times: 12:00 - 13:45
Room: Rostlab seminar room I12
|March 16||12:00||Design patterns and antipattterns and their importance in software maintainability and sustainability|| Hesham Massoud
|March 16||13:00||General patterns|| Aleksejs Voroncovs
|March 17||12:00||Literals and Constructors Patterns||Efe Amadasun|
|March 17||13:00||Structural Patterns|| Ahmed Khattab
|March 18||12:00||Functional patterns and Reactive Functional Programming|| Stefan Fochler
|March 19||13:00||Object Creation Patterns|| Abu Zakaria
|March 19||12:00||Code Reuse Patterns|| David Martín González
|March 19||13:00||Behavioral patterns|| Mark Budiak
|March 20||12:00||jQuery Plugin Patterns|| Christoph Heidelmann
|March 20||13:00||jQeury specific patterns|| Akshit Malhotra
Juan Arias Alonso
- JSPatterns http://www.jspatterns.com/
- jQuery Anti-Patterns for Performance & Compression http://paulirish.com/2009/perf/
- RECOMMENDED VIDEO http://www.paulirish.com/2010/10-things-i-learned-from-the-jquery-source/