Patterns and anti patterns 2014
REGISTRATION FOR THIS SEMINAR IS NOW OVER. WE DO NOT ACCEPT NEW REGISTRATIONS. (JULY 1ST, 2014)
Write better code
Participating students will research and prepare presentation about ways to structure computer code in an efficient way that can be shared, re-used and maintained by others. Students will research the literature on some of the most (and less so) known coding patterns and anti-patterns and will present their finding to the class using an existing code base found on github and demonstrate the potential for code optimization. They summarize their findings in a seminar thesis.
Tips for presentation
Note that each session will include one 30 minutes presentation by each student.
- give an overview of the topic you chose to present
- give an introduction describing the project you are re-factoring/optimizing
- a through code critique should identify the strength and weaknesses of the code.
- suggest an improvment using a JS pattern you think is suitable.
- be ready to defend your choice, while a JS pattern may seem a good fit there are always some tradeoffs.
NOTE you should only use the patterns that are available to you from the topic you chose. If you chose Functional patterns then Object creation patterns are not relevant to your project. Keep this in mind when searching for a project to refactor on GitHub.
In the end students know about common patterns and anti-patterns, they can communicate sophisticated technological matters to their peers and they can summarize this in a written report.
June 16 11:00: Seminar pre-meeting.
September 8th - presentations due.
Seminar Dates: September 29 - October 3
Seminar Times: 12:00 - 13:45
Room: Rostlab seminar room I12
NOTE: due to some students dropping the seminar some talks were cancelled (marked with a
strike through) and the schedule has changed.
|Sep 29||12:00||General patterns||Amr Arafat|
|Sep 29||13:00||Literals and Constructors Patterns||Amit Sama|
|Sep 30||12:00||Design patterns||Yaroslav Dushko|
|Sep 30||13:00||Functional patterns||Reza Sefidgar|
|Oct 1||13:00||jQeury specific patterns||Mark J. Becker|
- JSPatterns http://www.jspatterns.com/
- jQuery Anti-Patterns for Performance & Compression http://paulirish.com/2009/perf/